Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Educational Websites

I really enjoyed the webpage rubric presentations over the last two sessions in Computers in the Curriculum. There were many great websites that I can't wait to use in my own classroom when I begin teaching. This assignment really opened my eyes to the tremendous amount of quality resources available on the internet. It also showed me that every website needs to be critically evaluated before introducing it in the classroom. Though several websites seemed very appealing at first, as we looked closer and the presenters discussed their content, it became clear that they were not very useful or appropriate after all. It seems that in today's classrooms there is so much to do and so little time to do it in. Teachers really need to make every minute and every experience count. Websites like the ones we saw should not be used in the classroom simply for the sake of utilizing technology instead of traditional methods of teaching. Much like poor parents use television to babysit their children, poor teachers can use the internet to distract and occupy their students. Websites should only be introduced if the learning activities on the website provide an opportunity to reach students in unique and meaningful ways that can not be accomplished otherwise. I think many of the websites discussed through this project do just that, and I thank my classmates for introducing them to me!

4 comments:

Dr. Luongo said...

Elena,

This was a terrific analogy:

"Much like poor parents use television to babysit their children, poor teachers can use the internet to distract and occupy their students."

I may use this statement(and give you credit!!) when I discuss the inappropriate uses of technology in the classroom.

Thanks for your thoughts...as well as your analysis of FUNBRAIN!

Take care~~

Marianne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marianne said...

You're right Elena. I agree with you. Unfortunately, many teachers do not know how to use the internet to its fullest capacity and often do not use it as a valuable teaching tool to enhance lessons. I see students scarcely using computers in classrooms and with no meaningful purpose. Most of the time it is a reward for doing something good or completing something before the others. It just takes up empty time and keeps the student occupied. What a shame! Yes, teachers have to pack a lot into their day and need to evaluate sites to determine their value. Some sites are more useful and appropriate than others. I think technology offers the student a medium that generates engagment and motivation. I don't necessarily agree that it should be used only if you can not accomplish the goal of the lesson in a traditional way. Technology is inviting to today's student and is a comfort zone for most of them.
Also, the external links provided by Dr. Luongo, for this class, have been great. Thanks to everyone for introducing all the great sites! Keep on blogging.

Herlan said...

Thanks, Elena, for that analysis on the FUNBRAIN website. I agree with you their website needs a lot of improvement. I've used it before and I found it very confusing.