Monday, October 6, 2008

Reading A-Z

I just read the article and checked out the websites of the Reading A-Z suite, and I have to say it blew my mind! I love the fact that these sights give you as a teacher access to so many different reading materials at 27 skill levels. The article talked about how today's classrooms are populated by students at all different levels making differentiated instruction an absolute necessity. These websites allow you to gain the necessary materials to target each individual student's skill level so you can greatly improve the reading skills of every single reader in your classroom, no matter how strong or weak, not just the average readers. I also love the Kids A-Z sight because it allows you to give students reading assignments at their individual level that they can complete at home or during class time. This allow you as a teacher to assign students extra practice work to help them improve their reading skills even when you can not be there to give them instruction. It is also a great website to allow students to practice reading on the computer while you as the teacher hold small reading groups that allow you to give differentiated attention to each reading level in your classroom. I bookmarked both of these sights and am excited to use them in my classroom when I get a job teaching!

2 comments:

Marianne said...

I totally agree. It individualizes and allows students to work at their own level, motivating them to improve. It was a great article with lots of resources to tap into, utilizing the computer to gain skills and confidence. I learned a lot from this article and it sounds like you did too! This class is filled with information and resources that will be very helpful in the classroom. I'm enjoying the class.

Dr. Luongo said...

Reading A-Z is a truly exceptional educational resource. I used this site when I taught Guided Reading lessons in my classrooms. Once I used the books and materials, I could not imagine teaching without them.

As usual. you have written a superior blog!